loading ...
spinner

General notice

Dear guests and visitors
Due to construction works, the railroad line between Stansstad and Engelberg will be closed from 22 March to 18 April 2021. Rail replacement buses will operate.

Engelberg valley chapel path

Route
Thematic Trail
Length
17.9 km
Travel time
6h
Tour details
Tour details
Engelberg valley chapel path
Kapelle Bettelrüti, Altzellen
Photo: Caroline Pirskanen, Nidwalden Tourismus
Engelberg valley chapel path
Kapelle zur schmerzhaften Mutter, Stutzkapelle Burgholz
Photo: Caroline Pirskanen, Nidwalden Tourismus
Engelberg valley chapel path
Heilig-Kreuz Kapelle, Oberrickenbach
Photo: Nidwalden Tourismus, Caroline Pirskanen, Region Luzern-Vierwaldstättersee
Engelberg valley chapel path
Kapelle St. Joder, Altzellen
Photo: Nidwalden Tourismus, Caroline Pirskanen, Region Luzern-Vierwaldstättersee
Engelberg valley chapel path
Kapelle Grafenort
Photo: Nidwalden Tourismus, Caroline Pirskanen, Region Luzern-Vierwaldstättersee
Engelberg valley chapel path
Kapelle St. Sebastian im Dörfli
Photo: Nidwalden Tourismus, Caroline Pirskanen, Region Luzern-Vierwaldstättersee
×
Wolfenschiessen–Wolfenschiessen
This route leads from Wolfenschiessen to Oberrickenbach and over the Wellenberg. The thematic walk centres on eight lovely chapels and offers magnificent views of the Engelberg valley.

Technical details

Tour type
Thematic Trail
Starting point
Wolfenschiessen
Point of arrival
Wolfenschiessen
Difficulty
Difficult
Condition
5 / 6
Ascent
901 m
Descent
901 m
Best Time of Year
May, June, July, August, September
Directions
This thematic tour begins in Wolfenschiessen. The parish church of Maria Geburt and the ossuary (Beinhaus) are located in the village. We follow Oberrickenbachstrasse to the Brändlen aerial cableway. From here, a footpath leads through the Tannwald forest towards Oberrickenbach. After a short stretch on the main road, we reach the Stutzkapelle Burgholz, Our Lady of Sorrows Chapel. This is a good spot for a short rest. The path continues towards Oberrickenbach and the Chapel of the Holy Cross, which was largely destroyed by an earthquake in 1601. It was immediately rebuilt and consecrated in 1604.

A delightful path leads along the fen to the Eggeligrat vantage point, followed by a narrow path to the Wellenberg, where you need to be sure-footed and have a head for heights. Fantastic views of Wolfenschiessen and the Bürgenberg await on the Wellenberg. After a descent in elevation of around 400 metres, we reach the Bettelrüti chapel, another spot with magnificent panoramic views; it was built in 1700 in memory of Brother Konrad Scheuber. The path then continues to Altzellen to the St. Joder's chapel and then back down into the Engelberg valley and the Grafenort chapel. From there we follow the Aawasser to the Sebastian chapel in Dörfli, which was built after a plague epidemic in 1620. The path continues back to Wolfenschiessen.

Export
GPX Download

Click on the altitude profile

Good to know

Arrival / Return journey
Route planner to Wolfenschiessen
Accessible by bus and train
No
Public transport
SBB Timetable
Further information & links
Tourism information:

Nidwalden Tourismus
Bahnhofplatz 2
6370 Stans
+41 (0)41 610 88 33
infonidwalden.com
www.nidwalden.com

Eight chapels:
Church of Maria Geburt, Wolfenschiessen
- Beinhaus, Wolfenschiessen
- Chapel Heilig-Kreuz, Oberrickenbach
- Chapel zur schmerzhaften Mutter, Stutzkapelle Burgholz
- Chapel Bettelrüti, Altzellen
- Chapel St. Joder, Altzellen
- Chapel Grafenort
- Chapel St. Sebastian im Dörfli

Brochure: Engelberg valley chapel path